- MetBob – Bob McDavitt has been doing an incredible job of weather routing for us for about four years now. Can’t recommend him highly enough. Also see his weekly WeatherGram
- Windyty.com – Our current favorite weather data viewer (when we have good internet)
- Nullschool Earth – A great weather data visualization
- Nullschool Earth Zone of Misery – where it’s too hot or too cold to exist
- PredictWind – A paid weather routing program – amazing service!
- Tropical Tidbits – current storm info
- MetVuw – human-moderated weather charts from Victoria University, Wellington
- SailDocs – Bandwidth optimized weather info via email
- qtVLM Free Weather Router Software
- Viewfax PC program to download and view GRIB files (part of Airmail but you should be able to download and install it separately here)
- OpenCPN Free Navigation Software
- VentureFarther.com An incredible website to make satellite images and more – see our post here about it… VentureFarther for Satellite Images (and More)
- GE2KAP A free program to make satellite charts (KAP files)
- ChartAid A great paid program to make KAP files
- SAS Planet A free program useful for making/downloading/storing satellite images (Russian site – may need to use Google Translate to read)
- Insight Map Creator A free program that will create AT5 files that can be displayed on Simrad and B&G chartplotters.
- NZMariner – free raster charts of the Pacific
- MailASail – simple email program (Teleport-It) that works well with satellite connections
- ZoneAlarm – a free firewall that can save $$$ on satellite connections – and here’s our post on setting it up.
- St. Brendan’s Isle – reliable mail forwarding service but kind of expensive.
Boat Info, Cruising Info and Forums
- CruisersForum – probably everything you could want to know about boats and boating
- Panbo – marine electronics
- Noonsite – if there’s one master repository of cruising info, this is it
- Soggy Paws – Great cruising info – check out their compendiums
- YIT – a service from Gulf Harbor Radio with weather and yacht tracking
- Webb Chiles Journal – inspiring read from a great sailor
- You Shop – a good way to ship stuff to NZ
- Defender – an alternative to West Marine with good prices and service
- NewEgg – great online source of computer stuff
- Maddox Anodes – substitute for zinc
- The Boat Works – an amazing, wonderful boatyard in Australia